In order to bring some consumer protection to the $11 billion unregulated self-help industry, we have created The SEEK Safely Promise. We have asked motivational speakers, leaders, and authors in the self-help industry to sign the promise. By signing the SEEK Safely Promise they will be agreeing to these basic standards and committing that all of their practices shall be guided by the promise.
Take the time to get to know the promise, and more importantly know who is willing or unwilling to make the SEEK Safely Promise, so that those who seek can make informed decisions about their journey.
Ginny & George Brown
Loving Parents of Kirby Brown
THE SEEK SAFELY PROMISE
A person’s journey to self-empowerment and personal improvement is deeply personal, emotional and often times spiritual. We/I acknowledge and support every individual’s right to a safe and constructive journey so that each person might find the personal growth and change he/she seeks.
As an organization/program we/I are committed to providing an environment and experiences that are:
1. Truthful. Consumers will receive accurate information about the author’s, leader’s or speaker’s professional degrees, credentials and experience.
2. Accurate. We will clearly delineate what is personal opinion, belief or speculation as opposed to information that is supported by third party scientific research.
3. Respectful. Participants will be able to freely express opinions, without fear of public humiliation, ridicule, shame or physical abuse.
4. Protective. When people reveal deeply personal experiences, we recognize the responsibility to advise all seekers to enlist the aid of licensed professionals to provide service that may be beyond the scope of the event, seminar or retreat.
5. Integrity. The leader will provide personal witness by living the program being taught.
6. Safe. If engaging participants in a physical activity, there will be appropriate medical support available in case of injury. The leader will have a comprehensive risk management plan to minimize any risk taken by participants and clearly explain any potential risks that are part of the event.
By agreeing to this promise we/I will adhere to the above principles and practices and will be guided in all actions by the best interests of participants.
- Download the PDF above
- Sign the document
- Fax it to (888) 636-8279 OR Scan & email: firstname.lastname@example.org
Disclaimer: S.E.E.K. Safely is not interested in endorsing, promoting or monitoring self-help practitioners. Rather, our goal is to educate the seeker and promote safe practices in the industry in order to prevent tragedies.