We have an exciting update on our effort to pass legislation to protect consumers of self-help in New York State. It’s now in the Senate!
We’ve already told you about the bill moving through the Assembly (and we could still use your help contacting your local Assembly reps to encourage their support!), and now Senator John Bonacic of Kirby’s own home district is sponsoring the Senate version of the bill. Here’s a quick recap of what the bill does:
- This is actually an amendment to the existing business law and executive law
- It requires non-licensed self-help providers to
- disclose potential risks that their events at the time of signing a contract for services
- share a comprehensive risk management plan with consumers
- make licensed professionals such as medical professionals and psychologists available at events to help in the event of an emergency
- register with the State of NY as a non-licensed self-help professional
- It includes penalties if these requirements are not followed by self-help providers
We now need your help getting this through the Senate. Start contacting your State Senators to encourage them to sign onto and support this bill.
To that end, we’ve created some tools to make this very simple for you:
- Find your NY State Senator
- a letter that you can mail or email to your rep
- a script for making phone calls to their offices
- a link where you can read the text, check the status, and voice your support for the bill
We also ask you to share this widely among your network to get the word out!
If you’re not from New York, don’t despair! We are hoping to introduce this effort to other states as well. This will be easier once this bill is successful in New York. If you’re interested in helping us do this, feel free to contact us so we can use your help when we’re ready!
What else you can do if you are a seeker:
- Start demanding these promises from your self-help providers anyway! So what if it’s not yet a law? Consumer demand is also a powerful route to change. Demand that your self-help provider show you their risk management plan, provide licensed professionals to help in the event of some harm or injury, and encourage them to share their qualifications with you and only do things they’re qualified to do!
- Share your stories with us! Your stories have impact. If you’ve had a questionable experience with a so-called self-help guru or professional, tell us! Your story helps build the case for the need to have legislation like this.
Thanks for the support!